Vloggers View

Monday, March 13, 2006

Filmmakers and Content Creators

I feel like with the changing of technology and the easier and more accessible nature of film/video production more and more people are becoming content providers. Not only that but the term filmmaker is being thrown around rather loosely. I want to take a moment and make a clear distinction between filmmakers and content creators.

I'm going to start out with filmmakers. Filmmakers are those who understand the language to film (for film truly has its own language). Much like a language it takes years to learn, master and be able to utilize it. Just because someone has a camera and has created content doesn't make him/her a filmmaker. I believe a filmmaker understands their role in telling of a story, whether its a look at characters, a situation, or trying to make a point, a filmmaker has purpose and drives that purpose to their audience.

I would also like to make a special note about the word film. In this particular piece I'm referring to the different types of moving images, not precisely film as in film stock, but also digital media, video and animation. I know this too is a sensitive subject for many people, but the discussion is for another time.

As for the content creators, I feel as though these are what the internet is becoming full of. Essentially content creators are people who pick up a camera, create a "movie" and put it up on the internet, generally with little or no editing and with little or no point to it other than just putting it up because it would be cool. As frustrated as I get by these movies, I also understand their place. First of all we all need to start somewhere. Even the most recognized filmmakers at one point were just experimenting and creating content. As well these piece of content give us a glimpse to an actual reality world which is only slightly influenced by film conventions.

Although there is a time and place for these pieces of content, I feel as though the internet can be such a strong source of true content. As such I feel as though it will be important for the internet to start being a true distributor of quality content. Especially if applications such as Democracy and FireANT are hoping to survive and more specifically, flourish. As much as I feel that podcasting and vlogging has changed how people are creating and receiving content it will be important that this is seen as a legitimate source of entertainment and filmmaking an not just a source of meaningless content.

If there are filmmakers and vloggers out there trying to redefine the ideas and concepts of online entertainment I wish you all luck, for I know the struggles we are all going through, but we can and will prevail in the end. Good luck to all of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home